The Radiance Network South West was launched in November 2017 in response to community demand – recognition that there was not enough awareness, support, and services for families in the South West region, who are struggling in the perinatal period. Radiance was a product of partnership and collaboration, with a vision to provide a platform to bring services together in order to support, build resilience, and enhance the emotional wellbeing of parents to strengthen family relationships. Radiance also aims to raise awareness around perinatal anxiety, depression and adjustment disorders and facilitate better pathways to care.
A partnership was formed between Lamp and South West Women’s Health Information Centre where initial fundraising by a Mum (CJ) donated to Lamp of $15,000 and a grant from WAPHN of $20,000 to SWWHIC was used to pilot the initiative in Busselton. So with $35,000 Radiance Network South West was formed.
Listen to mums talk about their experience attending Radiance Network South West support groups.
A few of the highlights of the first few years of the Radiance Network are:
- Radiance Support Group commenced at The People Place Busselton in August 2017 (ongoing to date)
- Launch of project at Radiance Festival, including Big Pram Walk, in November 2017
- Training of facilitators for Mother Baby Nurture programme and group commenced, January/February 2018
- Radiance Network added into PANDA’s online support group package as a Project of Excellence, 2018
- Radiance Support Group commenced in Bunbury, June 2018
- Referral pathways now available for agencies and practitioners
- Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Symposium held in February 2019 (planned for 2021)
- Annual fundraiser (clothes swap) by CJ (major funds provider)
- All Radiance Support Groups successfully transferred to an online platform during the Covid-19 lock-down, March 2020
- Radiance Support Group commenced in Collie, May 2020
- Finalist for the Prevention and Promotion Award in the Lifeline WA Mental Health Awards 2020
- Thanks to Lotterywest funding, Radiance has partnered with Playgroup WA respond to the urgent call for more perinatal and early parenting support with the First 1000 Days at Playgroup Project, July 2021
Successful application for funding from the Mental Health Commission to provide additional support groups throughout the South West, July 2021
- To secure future funding — sponsorship for sustainability of initiative.
- Source and secure funding for a Radiance House in Busselton.
- To expand Radiance South West Support Groups and Mother Baby Nurture Groups to other rural towns, for example Manjimup, Bridgetown, Harvey, Margaret River.
- Radiance Festival with Big Pram walk to be an annual event in each town, to be held in Perinatal Anxiety and Depression week, through collaboration within our community.
- Future training for facilitators/peer supports within our communities so we can offer more groups/workshops in the South West.
- Continue to create awareness and work on prevention of perinatal depression and anxiety within our communities.
Currently, as at 12 October 2020, the Radiance Network South West Inc committee is comprised of the following key members:
Karen Collins – Chairperson
Susan Kosicki – Deputy
Amiee Pember – Treasurer
Belinda Butler-O’Halloran – Secretary
Please contact us if you are interested in becoming a member of the Radiance Network South West Inc.